Banh beo recipe (Vietnamese water fern cake)
Banh beo recipe – Bánh bèo (Banh Beo) or Vietnamese water fern cake is originally one of the best dishes of Hue, but nowadays, it is popular throughout Vietnam. Banh beo is so elegant and fragrant that anyone can enjoy its flavors. It is not only eaten for breakfast but also served as a snack at the dining table. The cake is savory and visually eye- catching with red shrimps and golden brown fried onion. Every bite is soft and chewy.
Below please find our banh beo recipe:
- 125gr rice flour
- 20gr tapioca starch
- 250ml cold water and 375ml lukewarm water
- 300gr shrimp
- 1 purple onion, 1 garlic, green onion
- Fish sauce, salt, pepper, sugar
- 30 small cups
- Crouton or roasted pig skin
Mix rice flour with tapioca starch. Add a little of salt
Add slowly cold water and stir it all together
Add 375ml lukewarm water and stir
Let it settle for 3 or 4 hours until the water becomes clear. This process is to eliminate the smell of old flour
Discard the water and pour lukewarm water instead with the same proportion. Stir slightly.
- Prepare shrimp paste topping. Shell and clean shrimp. Keep shells of shrimps to make broth.
- Chop shrimps finely to make shrimp paste.
- Heat oil and fry garlic. Add shrimp paste and a little of salt.
- Fry until shrimps are completely dry and bluff.
- Prepare dipping sauce
- Chop shells of shrimp finely. Put chopped shells in a pot and cook with water and 1 purple onion.
- Discard shells but keep broth. Add a little of sugar into broth.
- Add fish sauce into the broth. Add spices to make broth have light sweet taste. Add some chili slices if you like.
- Prepare fried green onion
- Slice green onion and mix with 1tbsp. oil. Fry green onion until it becomes golden brown. Set aside.
- Prepare cakes: Prepare 30 small cups. Cook water in a steamer.
- Grease the cups with oil. Place a full tray of the cups to the steamer. Fill batter two- thirds of each cup.
- Cover and steam about 3 minutes until the cake is opaque.
- Remove and allow cakes to cool for 1 or 2 minutes. Top banh beo with fried onion, shrimp paste, fried pig skin or crouton.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
With our banh beo recipe, we hope that your family will have another option for your snack.