Cá kho tộ – (Fish cooked with sauce) recipe
Cá kho tộ – (Fish cooked with sauce) recipe is a well-known homely dish often prepared at the family dinner table. The dish requires a lot of details on the seasoning as well as patience in waiting for dish to be slowly cooked so that the deep and sweet aromatic flavor of the sauce will be soaked in the fish meat. There is hardly any Vietnamese lady who wouldn’t know how to cook this dish – just a testament to how traditional and popular Cá kho tộ is to the Vietnamese.
- 300g catfish
- Spring onion
- Seasoning: fish sauce, sugar, seasoning powder, coconut liquid caramel (nước màu dừa), cooking oil, and pepper
- Catfish: wash with salt, and chop into about 2cm thick slices.
- Spring onions: pick, wash and mince
- Place the fish into a non-stick pot, and start adding in the seasoning: 4 table spoons of fish sauce, 1 coffee spoon of sugar, ½ coffee spoon seasoning powder, 2 table spoons of cooking oil, ½ coffee spoon of coconut liquid caramel, and ½ coffee spoon of pepper.
- Start the fire and slow cook the pot
- When the mixture is boiled, remember to move the fish a little so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot, then scatter spring onions onto the fish face layer.
- Continue to slow cook until the mixture has dried to a sticky sauce.
- Serve with rice. If you can find a bowl similar to what is in the picture for the fish and sauce, it would be perfect!