Lẩu cá bông lau (Vietnamese catfish hotpot) recipe
Lẩu cá bông lau (Vietnamese catfish hotpot) recipe – Hi everyone, I’m back today with another popular traditional dish of the Vietnamese!
Lẩu cá bông lau, or catfish hotpot, is a popular dish served in the restaurants across the country. It is a dish often enjoyed during happy occasions such as a celebration for getting into university, or a promotion. It is therefore best complemented with beer or related drinks J. This does not necessarily mean that you absolutely must be drinking beer with this, though it is something the Vietnamese people would enjoy doing. It’s perfectly fine to make it a homely dish as well!
The catfish hotpot gained popularity through its sweet and sour seasoning and usage of a wide variety of herbs. Catfish is a very well-known ingredient in Vietnamese’s kitchen, and has long been a must-have in many Vietnamese dishes. The fish itself has a very soft texture, and when done correctly, will give the feeling like it will melt in your mouth.
Now, compared to the previous dishes, this should be an easy one to make. The trick is to find all the necessary ingredients, but if you really can’t find any one of them, please feel free to be creative and replace with something similar :).
- 600g catfish (Cá bông lau)
- 100g sprouts
- 100g mint
- 100g tomatoes
- 300g fish bones
- Onion, garlic, chili, Mexican coriander (ngò gai), rice paddy herb, cần tàu
- 1 strand of tamarind
- ½ pineapple
- 4 lady fingers
- 2kg rice vermicelli or rice
- Spices: fish sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, seasoning powder
- Cooking oil
- Garlic, red onion
- Garlic: crush and mince
- Red onion: Peel, wash, slice into thin pieces then stir fry
- Catfish: clean and extract the organs of the fish as usual, wash clean with salt then chop into 4-5cm long pieces. Marinate the fish with minced garlic, pepper, salt and seasoning powder. Leave for 10 minutes for the fish to absorb the spices fully.
- Bones: wash, and boil in a cooking pot to create the soup base. Season and extract to a large soup bowl.
- Pineapple: wash, slice into thin, long strands, then marinate with salt, sugar. Stir fry the marinated pineapple, but do not stir fry for too long.
- Mint: peel off the skin, wash and cut diagonally
- Sprouts: wash and let dry
- Chili: wash and slice into thin pieces
- Lady fingers: cut and dispose of the head and tail parts, wash and cut diagonally
- Tomatoes: wash, cut off the stem and slice into 3cm thick pieces
- Mexican coriander, rice paddy herb: pick, wash and mince
- Stir fry the marinated fish
- Add the following ingredients into an empty hotpot: catfish, lady fingers, mint, sprout, tomato, and pineapple. Sprinkle minced herbs, chili, and fried onion on top
- Reboil the soup base, crush the tamarind to extract the sauce, then season with fish sauce, sugar and seasoning powder to create a sweet and sour taste.
- Pour the boiling soup base into the hotpot
- Remember to prepare a small bowl of seasoned fish sauce, sliced chili and a plate of rice vermicelli or rice.
That’s it! The hotpot is ready to be enjoyed. Thanks for reading 🙂