Bún Bò Huế (Hue beef noodle soup) Recipe
Bún Bò Huế (or Hue beef noodle soup) has always been a popular staple food of the Vietnamese people, known widely for its exquisite and special taste. Like its name suggests, the dish originated from Hue city, and it makes use of various spices and herbs to bring about that very distinctive flavor.
Bun Bo Hue is also well known for its beneficial health benefits, evidently coming from its ingredient, which is chockfull of herbs, various vegetables and of course, fresh beef and pig trotter.
In fact, the dish is so popular that you could find it in many Vietnamese restaurant overseas, especially in the US and Australia. Unfortunately, nowadays, it is not easy to come across authentically made Bun Bo Hue, even in the city of Ho Chi Minh or Ha Noi.
So now why don’t we try our hand with this traditional dish and see for ourselves if it is possible to make authentic Bún Bò Huế? 🙂
- Pig trotter (Chân giò – 1 pc)
- ½ kg beef (thịt bò nạm)
- 1 kg beef bone
- Ginger (1 pc)
- 2 soup spoon of Hue shrimp paste (mắm ruốc Huế)
- Lemongrass (2 pcs)
- ½ bowl of minced lemongrass
- 1 coffee spoon of dry chili
- 50g red onion (hành tím)
- Garlic (1 pc)
- Lemon (2 pcs)
- Chili (2 pcs)
- Eryngium foetidum (ngò gai), fresh vegetable, sprouts, spring onion
- 2kg rice vermicelli (bún)
- Annatto seed extract (màu điều đỏ)
- Spices: salt, pepper, sugar, and seasoning powder, fish sauce
- Beef: wash till clean
- Beef bone: soak in salt water for 1 hour, wash and let dry
- Pig trotter: wash clean, and slow cook in a large pot till the meat is soft
- Lemongrass: chop into short slices, tie together and put into the slow cook pot that contains
- your pig trotter
- Hue shrimp paste: mix into a cold bowl of water, filter and throw away the sediment.
- Boil water in another pot, put in the ginger, beef bone and beef and boil for about 5 minutes then take out, let water soak out and let dry.
- Boil water in (yet) another pot with about 6 litre of water. Put in beef bone, beef, pig trotter and slow cook till soft, let it simmer and skim carefully so that the soup is clear enough.
- When the pig trotter and beef is soften, take out and chop into smaller pieces
- Filter the remaining soup to get the soup base (about 4 litre)
- Heat the soup base in a large pot and start seasoning it wih fish sauce, salt, Hue shrimp paste, sugar and seasoning powder till tasty
- Heat oil in a frying pan to stir fry garlic, onions, minced lemongrass, dried chili, and annatto seed extract. Put the finished mixture into the soup base pot.
- When serving, put in the rice vermicelli so that it fills up half a bowl. Remember to soak in boiled water first so it’ll be less sour.
- Pour boiled (very important) soup base into the bowl. Add beef, pig trotter, Eryngium foetidum, sprouts, spring onion and diced chili.
- You can also put in chả Huế to complete the dish.
- Also can put extra thin sliced beef into the bowl. Fry onion, lemongrass and garlic till golden then stir-fry with the sliced beef, then put on top of the vermicelli.
That’s it! Enjoy your first Bún Bò Huế bowl! 🙂 Remember to share this with your friends or family if you found the recipe useful.